Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Mr. Wiggles

So having not seen an ultrasound in about 4 weeks, I think the baby has officially “turned”. I feel the thumping of kicks much farther up on my huge abdomen. But this does not explain all the other things I feel lower still. I swear the baby must be performing the “wave” on a regular basis. I’m constantly feeling wiggles at all hours of the day. Hence, the new nickname.

I figured since I basically already posted the traumatic experience I went through, I should go ahead and tell everyone about the other thing I have to go through. About 8 weeks into the pregnancy I found out I had Gestational Diabetes. Now most of you who have been pregnant before are probably wondering how the heck I found out that early considering most women don’t test till about 24 weeks. I was told that because of my genetics and my numbers before I got pregnant, that I was at a high risk of having gestational diabetes. As soon as I found out I was pregnant, I asked the doctors to check this out. Thank God I did too. Since then, I’ve been pushed into the high risk category and all the doctors and receptionists know me very very well. My genetics are too bad for diet so they tried approved drugs. They didn’t like the erratic behavior so now I’m on insulin. Yes, I poke myself with a needle 4 times a day. Oh, but that’s not enough! I also have to test my blood sugar 4 times a day. Hi, my new name is “pin cushion”.

On the positive side though, because I have such a strict diet, I don’t eat like a pig. This also means I haven’t gained all that much weight. Hopefully it stays like this and I’ll be able to lose it fast once the baby is born. Annoyingly enough, I’m already getting lectures about “losing the baby fat” ASAP (and no, not from J at all). Another positive thing is I get ultrasounds every 4 weeks. It’s more because they need to measure the baby regularly. But it’s still a cool benefit for me. I get to say hi to him more regularly then most people.

I’ll probably post a bit more about my Florida vacation after a while. Having just gotten back, I have quite a few things that need to be done at work first.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kristie (J) said...

Wow! You're really going through a lot for this little one! Hope everything continues good for you. The baby moving is exciting for the longest time, but then you start thinking "enough baby! Go to sleep! Please"

12:47 PM  
Blogger Gigi said...

I had Gestational diabetes too but I didn't find out till around 25 weeks and by then I had already gained 33 pounds! I was able to manage it with diet but it was so hard after having been able to eat what I pleased for so long to drastically cut back was hell.

And don't listen to the naysayers you'll lose the weight in due time. If there's one thing I could've done without during my pregnancy was all the well meaning advice I got from people.

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home